Governors are at the heart of how a school operates, and the governing body's main role is to help raise standards of achievement. As well as helping the school agree and maintain standards, by setting and monitoring targets and planning for the future, the governors also help the school to respond to the needs of parents and the wider community, and they are a friend to the school, offering support and advice.
With a few exceptions, anyone over 18 can apply to become a governor. All governors have to make a self-disclosure declaration and are subject to a Police check.
Wimborne First School & Nursery Governors are parents, staff and representatives of the local community who are committed to the school and offer support in a voluntary capacity. The number and type of governors on a school's governing body is determined by the law and depends on the size and type of school. Wimborne First School & Nursery currently has 7 Governors of varying roles on their Governing body.
|Name||Governor Type||Term From||Term To||Additional Information||Roles|
|Mrs Val Arbon||Co-opted Governor||15 July 2021||14 July 2025||Vice Chair, Safeguarding Governorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Andy Best||Staff Governor||14 Mar 2023||13 Mar email@example.com|
|Mrs Ingrid Fido||Co-opted Governor||19 Jan 2021||18 Jan 2025||Also staff firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mrs Sarah Hartley||Head Teacheremail@example.com|
|Rev'd Belinda Marflitt||Co-opted Governor||14 Mar 2023||13 Mar firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr Gary Plummer||Co-opted Governor||7 Oct 2023||
Chair of Governors
|Chair, SEND Governoremail@example.com|
|Mrs Amy Pritchard||Associate Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mrs Jackie Read||Otheremail@example.com|
|Mrs Becca Rees||Staff Governorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kirsty Speer||Parent Governor||14 Mar 2023||13 Mar email@example.com|
|Nick Wells||Parent Governor||14 Mar 2023||
13 Mar 2027
|Mr S Joyce||Parent Governor||19 Jan 2021||
21 Nov 2022
The regulations of the 1980 Education Act require that copies of the agenda and minutes shall be available at the school. These are available in the school office if you wish to view them.
We hold meetings once per half term at Wimborne First School & Nursery.
Our current Governors are:
|Mr Gary Plummer||Mrs Sarah Hartley||Mrs Rebecca Rees||Mrs Ingrid Fido|
|Mr Andrew Best||Mrs Valerie Arbon|
The Responsibilities of a School Governor:
- They work with the staff to establish objectives, policies and procedures for the school and to formulate the School Development Plan. They also monitor the implementation of these.
- They ensure the National Curriculum is taught in a broad and balanced way, including Religious Education.
- They are involved in making staff appointments, and oversee competency and disciplinary matters. They also ensure appropriate appraisal and staff development takes place.
- They are concerned with, and have responsibility for, the overall financial management of the school.
- They take responsibility for ensuring that high standards are maintained in health and safety and the school's environment.
- They have collective rather than individual responsibility.
The Governors are not responsible for:
- The day to day running of the school or the implementation of policies. These are the responsibility of the Head Teacher.
- They do not oversee the work of individual teachers, carry out appraisals or act in any way as school inspectors.
If you need to contact the Chair of Governors please address all correspondence to Mr Gary Plummer, c/o Wimborne First School or contact him via email firstname.lastname@example.org